I first started baking after I graduated from college and had a real kitchen all to myself. I soon figured out my true love- baking breads. It wasn’t an easy love to find, I remember my first experience making bagels, which turned into yeasty rocks. I kept at it and can now make a delicious loaf of bread without too much difficulty. Below is a list of some favorite breads, stolen from The Brown Eyed Baker.
1. American Sandwich Bread – This is the ultimate homemade white bread – perfect for your favorite sandwiches and breakfast toast.
2. Bagels – Bagels are one of my all-time favorite treats to make at home. To date, I have madeplain bagels, blueberry bagels (pictured below), cinnamon-raisin bagels, Asiago bagels andeverything bagels.
3. Chocolate Babka – Absolutely sinful, a great breakfast (or dessert) treat around the holidays!
4. Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Bread – This is ah-mazing bread – cinnamon-spiked dough with swirls of raisins and walnuts. It’s an incredible breakfast bread.
5. English Muffins – Much like bagels, English muffins are an awesome store-bought item to make at home. They aren’t too difficult, and a million times better than anything you’ll buy!
6. Honey-Oatmeal Sandwich Bread – This runs a close second to the American Sandwich Bread in terms of favorite breads. It also makes a fabulous sandwich bread – soft and light but full of flavor!
8. Potato Rosemary Bread – This one ranks up there in the top 3 for me – so much flavor and such a wonderfully light crumb. This is a great one to make around Thanksgiving for leftover turkey sandwiches!
9. Soft Cheese and Pepperoni Bread – Pepperoni bread is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. My grandma would make them all the time… she used Rhodes frozen bread dough (still delicious!), but this is a great from-scratch alternative.